Are you looking to work, study and have fun at the same time? Then why not apply for a part-time Traineeship with Penrith City Council looking after young people from 5-12 years.
Penrith City Council is looking to employ committed, enthusiastic and passionate individuals to undertake a 24-month part-time Traineeship in Children’s Services.
During this Traineeship you will combine study with on-the-job training to gain skills and experience in working with young people, as well as obtaining a Certificate IV in School Age Education and Care
Our trainees work across a cluster of Out of School hours services with teams of experienced Children's Services educators in caring for and educating young people from 5-12 years. The hours of work for this position will be of a split shift nature and hours will vary depending on centre operation hours. You will work an average of 27 – 32 hours per week.
You will assist in the development of leisure-based programs for the young people and in implementing indoor and outdoor activities to promote learning and to ensure everyone is having fun, including you! The position also requires trainee’s to work closely with families, educators and other Council staff.
What’s in it for you?
- Stability in shifts working Monday to Friday
- Flexibility of working AM & PM shifts
- Kick start your career in Child Care
- Develop industry experience
- Get paid to study and earn while you learn
- Be fully supported with your education and work environment
- Be 18 years of age or older by no later than 1 March 2020.
- Have an interest in Children’s Services, specifically children aged between 5-12 years
- Be willing to commit to study and work at the same time
- Available to work split shifts with one day per fortnight attending Tafe
- Have experience in working with 5-12 years in some capacity for example: coached a sporting team, worked in a leisure centre
- Capacity to be pro-active and show initiative in the workplace
- Be able to communicate effectively and work well with others. This means being able to follow directions, listen and explain things clearly and interact with children and other staff in a pleasant and helpful way
- It is desirable that you have a current Class C Driver Licence, Bus Licence or willing to obtain
To apply you must:
- Not hold a Certificate III or IV in any field completed in the last 7 years, and/or Diploma qualification and above in any field of any date
- Have the ability to work in Australia and eligible to enroll in a traineeship (if applicable, please provide visa information on application)
- If you are currently at school, upload a copy of your half yearly report as part of your application or;
- If you are out of school, upload a written employment reference as part of your application, which relates to your suitability for this traineeship
Council encourages applications from Person's with a Disability and those who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander persons
This position has been identified as a Child-Related position under Child Protection laws in NSW.
To be eligible to apply, you are required to provide Council with a valid Working with Children Check (WWCC) Number. You can apply for a WWCC by visiting https://wwccheck.ccyp.nsw.gov.au/Applicants/Application#
Traineeships will be offered to people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background – exemption granted under section 126 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
If you would like to find out more about our Traineeship Program we are holding Information Sessions on:
- Friday 4 October 2019, 1:00pm - 2:30pm
- Thursday 24 October 2019, 6:00pm - 7:30pm
All sessions will be held at the Nepean Room, Penrith Civic Centre, 601 High St Penrith. Please call Natasha Edwards to RSVP to an information session on 02 4732 7725.
If you are successful through to the next stage of the recruitment process you will need to be available for an Assessment Centre on Tuesday, 19 November 2019.
Commencing Salary: $19.49 per hour
Traineeships will commence in January 2020.
To view the position description and submit your application, please apply online using the link below.
For further information about the position please contact Natasha Edwards on 4732 7725.
Council practices EEO and WHS principles.