At Penrith City Council, we’re passionate about people; in our community and in our workplace. We want you to be able to be your best self and we get that work is just one part of your life, so we’re here to support you in the moments that matter. As the winner of the 2020 Local Government Excellence in People and Culture Award and a finalist in the 2020 Australian HR Awards, you can be confident in joining a workplace that offers truly outstanding benefits, including:
- A range of flexible work arrangements
- 18 weeks paid maternity leave
- Health and wellbeing leave
- 15 days personal leave
- Significant financial and leave support for undertaking further education
- Diverse salary packaging
- And much, much more!
Penrith City Council's Design and Projects department is responsible for the delivery of Council’s major capital works, which include buildings and civil infrastructure. Joining our team means working in a progressive City Council within a region on the rise. Penrith is expected to receive significant growth and investment in the next 20 years, and this position will offer the successful candidate the opportunity to work alongside a team of professionals responsible for achieving quality outcomes for architecture, landscape architecture, civil design and project management.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated individual to join our team on a permanent full-time basis in the position of Senior Design Engineer. In this role, you will:
- manage the design processes including the support and supervision of Design Engineers, Trainee Engineers and external consultants;
- ensure all designs meet Council’s strategic environmental, construction and maintenance objectives, current design standards and legislative requirements; and
- provide technical advice to internal and external customers.
The successful candidate will be an outstanding professional and team player, with extensive experience in civil design and survey and the capability to lead and mentor team members.
- Degree Qualification in Civil Engineering to enable membership as a Professional Engineer
- Current Class C driver licence
- General Construction Induction (White) card
- Extensive practical experience in all aspects of civil design and survey of civil infrastructure including roads, drainage, traffic infrastructure and building related infrastructure
- Sound computer skills including extensive CAD skills (12D – mandatory, AutoCAD Civil 3D and CivilCAD)
- Demonstrated ability to prepare design plans on time to comply with current design standards and to industry best practice
- A good understanding of survey practices and knowledge of GPS survey equipment
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills and customer focus
- Experience in providing a senior advisory role to internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in Local Government construction and design projects
- Previous project management experience and ability to manage minor construction projects from inception to completion
- Current Traffic Controller & Prepare Work Zone TMP Certificates
- An understanding of computer-based applications for engineering surveys, GIS mapping and drainage modelling for civil infrastructure improvement
Commencing Salary: $100,282.00 per annum, plus 9.5% Superannuation and a 3.5% Civil Liability Allowance in accordance with the Local Government (State) Award.
A Leaseback Vehicle is available with this position; however, it is not a condition of employment.
You may be required to undertake background checks, as relevant to the position for which you have applied.
Please select the link/s below to view the position description and submit your application.
In addition to a cover letter and resume, applicants are required to submit comprehensive responses to the selection criteria (listed above) as a part of their initial application. Applicants who do not meet the essential criteria will not be considered.
Completed applications must be received by 11.55pm on the closing date. Please allow 4 weeks from the closing date for the processing of your application.
For further information about the position, please contact Ari Fernando, Major Projects and Design Coordinator, on (02) 4732 7569.
Council practices EEO and WHS principles.
Penrith City Council is committed to ensuring the safety of our people and community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Many of our employees are currently working remotely or in a way that is different to normal, which may impact our recruitment processes including time to respond to applicants and conducting online interviews instead of in-person. Some roles may also require temporary remote working arrangements; if applicable, this will be discussed with you at the time of interview.
We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.