At Penrith City Council, we’re passionate about people; in our community and in our workplace. We want you to be able to be your best self and we get that work is just one part of your life, so we’re here to support you in the moments that matter. As the winner of the 2020 Local Government Excellence in People and Culture Award and an Excellence Award winner in the 2020 Australian HR Awards, you can be confident in joining a workplace that offers truly outstanding benefits, including:
- A range of flexible work arrangements
- 18 weeks paid maternity leave
- Health and wellbeing leave
- 15 days personal leave
- Significant financial and leave support for undertaking further education
- Diverse salary packaging
- And much, much more!
The Property Development and Management department is a specialised commercial team that manages the business of Property for Penrith City Council. We work hard to realise the potential of land and infrastructure by developing land for housing, business and industry which builds social and economic prosperity for Penrith’s communities.
About the role
An opportunity has arisen for 1 x Development Manager to join our team on a permanent part-time basis (21 hours per week), focusing on Property Investments and Council's Property Portfolio.
The position of the Development Manager will provide you with an opportunity to join a highly motivated team, develop your knowledge base and grow your corporate career within Council and the Property Development Industry.
The Development Manager is a key role within the Property Development team, with this role focused on Council's Property Portfolio, including leasing and licencing. Development Managers are also responsible for leading projects through the full development project lifecycle (including acquisition, planning, development, financial control, marketing, leasing and sales). The role also includes coordination of team members and project teams. You will also demonstrate an innovative and adaptable approach that supports the achievement of Council’s vision to achieve excellence in sustainable property development and management.
As a Development Manager, you will be responsible for providing a range of project management and support services for the full development lifecycle to achieve project milestones, including but not limited to:
- Assisting in the management of Council’s property portfolio through sustainable asset management and financial management practices.
- Facilitating and investigating property solutions through leasing, tenancy, statutory (property) and other development opportunities. This includes the identification and recommendation for developed / undeveloped land or facilities for commercial and/or community assets.
- Understanding and managing project opportunities, risks, stakeholders and priorities in an agile operating environment.
- Managing and leading a range of project related activities at various lifecycle stages around acquisition (including compulsory acquisition), planning, development and financial control, marketing and sale of various land development projects within approved limits.
- Demonstrating an innovative and adaptable approach that supports the achievement of Penrith City Council’s values.
- Contributing to achieve excellent sustainable development that reflects community aspirations, through collaboration with government and industry.
- Understanding owner/client and tenant objectives and timeframes for completion of effective project management, lease management, driving continuous improvement and improved revenue opportunities.
- Managing and successfully leading project teams to achieve agreed outcomes
We are looking for someone with a positive attitude and a passionate interest in real estate / property. You will be motivated to contribute to the growth of our property portfolio and excel working within an organised structure. We’ll provide the training to become successful in your role and you’ll be part of a highly motivated team of property professionals.
Being a collaborative, professional team player who is committed to operational excellence, you’ll be working with the whole property development team to meet its goals. Although extensive property experience is not required, exceptional customer service, stakeholder management, effective analytical skills and an understanding of government policy and legislation, property investment, leasing management, valuations, project management will all be looked upon favourably.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is hard-working, motivated and looking to grow their skills and knowledge in the property development and real estate industry. If you are looking for an opportunity to expand your skill set in procurement, contract administration, project management, commercial property and asset management and public land management, we want to hear from you!
We offer a hybrid working environment in this role and work together to balance our individual needs and working preferences with the needs of our colleagues, our customers and Council.
A Recruitment Pool eligibility list (e-list) may be created to fill similar roles for both ongoing and temporary opportunities if they arise within the next 12 months.
- Experience and a tertiary qualification in real estate, project management, development management, property economics, valuation, planning or related field.
- Demonstrated successful experience in managing complex land and property development projects including investigating land development opportunities, planning processes, financial management and budgets, project delivery, specialist contract management and stakeholder and community engagement.
- Proven and sound working knowledge of probity and equal access requirements (e.g. tendering, contracting and selling) as they apply to local government operating in the land and property development industry.
- Knowledge of the relevant Local Government Legislation, the State Records Act, EEO and Work Health and Safety (WHS) requirements, policies, procedures and practices.
- Commercial infrastructure, construction or Acquisitions/Compulsory Acquisitions experience.
- Current Class C driver licence.
- Experience in residential or commercial leasing/licencing and/or the delivery of property development projects or complex statutory matters in a government environment
- Experience in the following aspects is specifically desired:
- Identification of land development or portfolio growth opportunities, market analysis, project feasibility studies, scenario planning and due diligence process.
- Contract negotiation and administration, planning and re-zoning, obtaining Development Consents and successful project delivery.
- Managing the consultation process with stakeholders and facilitating the community consultation process.
- Management of statutory property process.
- Postgraduate qualification and evidence of ongoing professional development.
Salary: $56.20 - $65.05 per hour, plus 10% Superannuation.
This position requires the worker to be double vaccinated against COVID-19 or to hold a medical contraindication certificate.
You may be required to undertake background checks, as relevant to the position for which you have applied.
Visit careers.penrith.city to view the position description and to find out more information about employment with Penrith City Council. To submit your application, please apply online using the link below.
In addition to a cover letter and resume, applicants are required to submit comprehensive responses to the selection criteria (listed above) as a part of their initial application. Applicants who do not meet the essential criteria will not be considered.
Completed applications must be received by 11.55pm on the closing date. Please allow 4 weeks from the closing date for the processing of your application.
For further information about the position, please contact Rebecca Marshall, Program Manager, on 4732 8576.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this position.