Work Placement (mandatory placements in relevant field of study)
Job no: 493774
Work type: Unpaid - Work Experience/Placement
Categories: Work Experience
Note: The Work Experience Program is for students currently studying (high school – Years 10, 11, 12, TAFE, university or college)
About the Organisation
At Penrith City Council, we’re passionate about people; in our community and in our workplace. We offer unpaid development opportunities for students studying in a chosen field relevant to the work of Council.
About Work Placement
This program is for students:
- Who are required to do mandatory placements in their field of study as a part of their current educational program to demonstrate and enhance their skills in a workplace setting.
- To expand and develop their skillset and obtain practical experience and advice.
This type of program is targeted towards high school students (Years 11-12), university, TAFE and college students. The duration of this type of placement will usually be 2-3 weeks or more, depending on the amount of hours the student must complete.
Students can request work experience in the following areas (limited placements available):
- Building Approvals/Surveying
- Business Administration
- Children’s Services (Early Childhood Education)
- Civil Engineering
- Communications, Marketing or Events
- Environmental Health
- Finance (unavailable between June and September)
- Horticulture, Nursery (Plant Production) and/or Bushland Management
- Human Resources
- Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
- Information Management (Records)
- Town Planning (Development Assessment and/or Strategic)
Applications are currently open until 16 October 2022 for students seeking a placement between September to November 2022.
Am I Eligible?
You can apply if you:
- are a student currently studying at an Australian educational institution (High School/College - Years 10, 11 or 12, TAFE or University); and
- can provide insurance coverage (certificate of currency for Public Liability & Personal Injury insurance) from your place of study (i.e. high school, RTO, university).
Additional requirements for specific Council service areas:
- Building Approvals/Surveying, Horticulture and Town Planning: You are required to have a current Work Safely in the Construction Industry (White) Card. You must wear steel-capped boots on site.
- Early Childhood Education: Council's Children's Services Department offers industry placement in numerous locations across the Penrith Local Government Area. A Working with Children Check will be conducted before placement for any student aged 18 years and over. To be eligible to apply, you are required to provide Council with a valid Working with Children Check Number.
- Civil Engineering: Council currently coordinates with various universities to offer placement opportunities. Students must be in at least the third year of a related Engineering degree at University and have:
- A valid driver licence
- A current Work Safely in the Construction Industry (White) Card
- Knowledge of survey practices and CAD
- Availability of 4-5 days a week between Monday to Friday
How to Apply:
To apply, please use the link below to complete the online application form below. Please be prepared when completing the application form to provide the following information including:
- Phone number and email address
- Type of placement, including details of what you want to learn and experience during your placement
- Length of placement required
- Specific dates requested
- Insurance cover details
- Any additional information, such as any reasonable adjustment to the workplace you require
- All requests must be submitted online via our Career’s website. Emailed requests will not be accepted.
- Placements depend on the host department’s requirements and availability at a given time.
- We require students to provide 4 weeks’ notice of their intended placement. Last-minute applications will not be accepted. This allows us to consider all applications and make every attempt to place students in their preferred areas.
- We cannot guarantee any work placements.
- The Work Experience Program requires the participant to be double vaccinated against COVID-19 or to hold a medical contraindication certificate.
For further information, please visit our Traineeships and Work Experience page, or contact 4732 7777 and ask to be transferred to the Human Resources Team, or email email@example.com.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend