Work Placement (mandatory placements in relevant field of study)
Job no: 493526
Work type: Casual
Categories: Work Experience
Note: The Work Experience Program is for students currently studying (high school – Years 10, 11, 12, TAFE, university or college)
About the Organisation
At Penrith City Council, we’re passionate about people; in our community and in our workplace. We offer unpaid development opportunities for students studying in a chosen field relevant to the work of Council.
About Work Placement
This program is for students:
- Who are required to do mandatory placements in their field of study to demonstrate and enhance their skills in a workplace setting.
- To expand and develop their skillset and provide practical experience and advice.
This type of program is targeted towards high school students (Years 11-12), university, TAFE and college students. The duration of this type of placement will usually be 2-3 weeks or more, depending on the amount of hours the student must complete.
Students can request work experience in the following areas (limited placements available):
- Building Approvals/Surveying
- Business Administration
- Children’s Services (Early Childhood Education)
- Civil Engineering
- Communications, Marketing or Events
- Environmental Health
- Finance (unavailable between June and September)
- Horticulture, Nursery and/or Bushland Management
- Human Resources
- Information and Communications Technology
- Information Management (Records)
- Town Planning
Applications are currently open until 31 March 2022 for students seeking a placement between December 2021 to 30 June 2022.
Am I Eligible?
You can apply if you:
- are a student currently studying at an Australian educational institution (High School/College - Years 10, 11 or 12, TAFE or University); and
- can provide insurance coverage (certificate of currency for Public Liability & Personal Injury insurance) from your place of study (i.e. high school, RTO, university).
Additional requirements for specific Council service areas:
- Building Approvals/Surveying, Civil Construction, Horticulture, Metals & Mechanics and Town Planning: A Work Health Safety (WHS) White Card before placement. You must wear steel-capped boots on site.
- Early Childhood Education: Council's Children's Services Department offers industry placement in numerous locations across the Penrith Local Government Area. A Working with Children Check will be conducted before placement for any student 18 years and over. To be eligible to apply, you are required to provide Council with a valid Working with Children Check Number.
- Civil Engineering work placements: Council currently coordinates with various universities to offer placement opportunities. Students must be in at least the third year of a related Engineering degree at University and have:
- A valid driver's licence
- WHS white card
- Knowledge of survey practices and CAD
- Availability of 4-5 days a week (Monday to Friday)
How to Apply:
To apply, please use the link below to complete the online application form below. Please be prepared when completing the application form to provide the following information including:
- Phone number and email address
- Type of placement, including details of what you want to learn and experience in your placement
- Length of placement required
- Specific dates requested
- Insurance cover details
- Any additional information, such as any reasonable adjustment to the workplace you require
- All requests must be submitted online via our Career’s website. Emailed requests will not be accepted.
- Placements depend on the host department’s requirements and availability at a given time.
- We require students to provide 4 weeks’ notice of their intended placement. Last-minute applications will not be accepted. This allows us to consider all applications and make every attempt to place students in their preferred areas.
- We cannot guarantee any work placements.
For further information, please visit our Traineeships and Work Experience page, or contact 4732 7777 and ask to be transferred to the Human Resources Team or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Penrith City Council is committed to ensuring the safety of our people and community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Many of our employees are currently working remotely or in a way that is different to normal, which may impact our processes including time to respond to students.
We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend